Jekyll, reflecting on mankind, "All human beings... are commingled out of good and evil."
Ah yes, that classic book, today became my life. No, I did not suddenly become a deranged scientist/crazy person(because I have to be the scientist first, right?). I did pull a Mr. Hyde on my kids though, calmly vacuuming the floor and finding I had to stop every minute to pick up stuff I had been assured was put away, then clogging the hose with wads of tissues that someone had been to lazy to throw away. That was it, say "Bye, Bye" to Dr. Jekyll, "Hello" Mr. Hyde. I got out the trash can and started to hoe out junk, broken bits of stuff, and enough paper to gift wrap the state(if you like your gift wrap with pictures and things written all over it of course!). Mr. Hyde was in the house...
Jekyll, highlighting his lack of control over Hyde, "I was slowly losing hold of my original and better self, and becoming slowly incorporated with my second and worse."
Now, I have a problem with impatience, I have been working on this, praying on it, and I have gotten better, but sometimes it gets the better of me, but I am certain that I will never lose my better, and kinder gentler mommy self, this I am sure of. The kids were very upset that I was throwing so many things away, but are now quietly contemplating their own role in the loss of those same toys. I sat them down and explained, again, the role of responsibility, and caring for the things God blesses them with. I also explained that they were unfairly creating a lot of extra work for mommy, and that the work took away from the fun things we could have had time to do, so it took away from them too, they did not like that at all.
Now, Dr.Jekyll is back in the house, Mr. Hyde safely tucked back in his deep dark corner where he will growl and grumble, but likely not see the light of day for a very long time. He is on a very short leash, and it gets shorter every day. It is a struggle some days, but he does not have free rein of my life any more, visiting whenever he wants, thank you God for the grace and patience and guiding hand to help me keep him locked up tightly.
No comments:
Post a Comment