diligently working on their creations
Mia's pot, and the tea cup and teapot!
Julianna's painted pot, and a cookie in the process of being painted!
So, one of the things I resolved to do better/more is to try to say "yes" to the kids more. Sometimes I find myself resorting to just firing off a "no" quickly because it is easier, or I don't have time to stop and help or listen to the question. I am lacking in patience in general, and with hundreds of questions and requests being fired at me every day, I find that I lack the patience to say "yes" to the little things, or the time consuming things, or the inconvenient things, and I don't like that about myself, so I resolved to change.
A few days ago, after quiet reading time Julianna came and asked me if they could make clay pots like in the Native American/native Mexican art and life book she had been reading. First response, a groan, "ugghh, umm, not sure how we can do that, as we have no clay, sorry". But after seeing her disappointed face I tried to do better, and improvised, to her super delight!! I whipped up a batch of salt dough(5 minutes), and set the kids up at the table to pinch, poke, roll, and sculpt their creations. They had a blast, Julianna was determined to make a clay pot like in the book, and Mia wanted to make a pot, and a teapot, and cup for her babies, Gabe just rolled, balled and lumped together dough, into free form shapes, and they did this for over and hour, fun!!! The next day, after baking, they sat down and painted their creations and had a blast again spending an hour making their creations just right, but what fun they had.
So and investment of 10-15 minutes of my time, and a simple "yes" led to a very productive and fun afternoon, such a simple thing a "yes", and such a creative and interesting learning and guiding opportunity, since the girls tried to follow the forms and painting style of the Indians, and then helped Gabe to build his own creations. "Yes" was the right answer, and I am so pleased with the results of my resolve, and their interest and creativity.
No comments:
Post a Comment