This may seem a bit like I was blowing this situation out of proportion, but really this was very cruelly and unthinkingly done by my kid, and that makes it so much worse to me. I have been in the position of where this other child was, and have been hurt and not understood why someone who had been my friend is now unwilling to even say hi, they had become embarrassed by me or around me. I was horribly hurt by this behavior as a kid, it is a hurt that never goes away, it is one that gets buried as you get older, but it is always there, and then you see your own child being that thoughtlessly cruel child, and it is unbearable.
I admit i did have a "come to Jesus" talk with my kid on the way home, and made it very clear that they had been hurtful, and I was very disappointed in them. I also explained that they had been a nasty friend, and had been more concerned with themselves and their own self consciousness than another child's feelings and that this was not acceptable. They are learning in Awana to treat others like they want to be treated, and this was not a very good show of God's love for us that we give to one another. Well that got the water works started, and then they felt awful, and I assured them that this was the way their friend had felt too, and that they needed to pray that they could find a way to make it up to their friend, and how they really needed to be a better friend. Shyness and embarrassment is never an excuse to be cruel, intended or otherwise, and I am so very sorry that I had to teach this lesson to my kids, but I cannot let my kids hurt another as I was hurt as a little girl, that to me would be unforgivable.
No comments:
Post a Comment