Wednesday, November 18, 2009

growing toward independence, with some new help!!

Thank goodness, we have finally found a PT for Gabe that I can really work with! I had a hard time finding someone that we can work with, that Gabe can work with, that accepts both of his insurances and that is flexible. Mike is all of these things, and more, he is funny, friendly, not overwhelmed by all of us trooping into his office for appointments, and he really listens. The listening was key for me, mostly because we have goals for Gabe, and they are simple, but not typical, and he gets it, and wants Gabe to meet and exceed those goals.
Gabe, being Gabe and 4, is not easy to work with, he is easily upset, bored and excited, all within minutes, it is like standing in an emotional hurricane some days, and Mike just goes with the flow. Mike gets that there is no "fixing" Gabe, and that this is long term, and some typical PT goals and directions don't mean a thing to us. He is willing to flex with what he and Gabe do, and find new and interesting ways to use the usual PT tools, repurposing them to G's unique abilities and personality. As this is not typical of most Pt I am thrilled most by this, Gabe can really grow and expand his abilities here, and already we have seen growth and determination in areas that G had been floundering.
Mostly I am thankful for someone else to take some of the burden of expanding Gabe's world physically, someone else who can come up with new ideas when I feel completely empty of them. Mike sparks ideas and interesting new ways to learn skills, and work arounds for other tougher skills. Gabe is growing, and we want his independence to grow with him, and Mike can help to make that happen, and for that I am so very thankful. I have a feeling Mike will be in our lives for a long time, and am glad that he is okay with that. His humor and enthusiasm are much appreciated in working with Gabe, we are so glad we found him!!

No comments:

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte