Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy 4th Birthday Gabriel

Little man turned 4 today, and he is not such a little man anymore, he is a big boy, as he will readily tell anyone who asks!! He is full of himself and being a big boy, and will likely give me a head full of white hair before I am 40:) The drama and excitement of being 4 is overwhelming for him some days, but others he still reverts to the needy little 2 year old we brought home.
I have a hard time remembering what life was like when we first came home, with this frail and unhappy little boy, he alternated between love and hate, clinging and flinging away, and had so little ability to communicate or move, all he could do at times was scream and kick me away. Now he tries to negotiate for more play time, less nap time "I am too old for naps, I' not even tired" is what he told me the other day(right before conking out for an hour:), he could barely make a word 18 months ago. The distance he has come astounds me, his skills grow daily, and so I am swiftly losing my baby boy, and he is rapidly becoming a very engaging and temperamental young man.
I do not know what the coming years may bring, but I am sure that with his determination and drive Gabe will do most anything he really wants to, and very little of what he does not want to do!! My spirited little man is a wonder that I enjoy every day, and I pray that his Ethiopian mother knows this, and knows that he is safe and growing into a strong and charismatic young man. He has her will and gentleness, and is alive today because of her determination that he survive and thrive, and I am forever grateful and indebted to her.
Happy birthday to Gabriel Bethlehem, you are a wonder, fun and joyful, determined and charming, and above all LOVED!!!!!

No comments:

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte