Tuesday, October 13, 2009

End of an age...

So, this is the end, the CHSFS Forum has officially gotten their notice, and for one I am not surprised or upset by it. I feel badly for the folks who really wanted to learn from it, but they were being overwhelmed by the masses who just seemed to spread vitriol and bad feelings around like confetti. I really feel badly for those folks who never got to experience the forum like it was 3+ years ago when I started lurking there. Then it was great, very helpful, informative and supportive, now, not so much. Too many people with too many differing viewpoints, and the anonymity of the Internet make for tenuous relations at best, and out right bitter nastiness at worst, and that was what the forum was devolving into, a bitter, nasty, stew of resentment, unfounded rumors, innuendo and heresay(did I spell that right?). It is sad, but for CHS it was a huge commitment, and to have it, at times, must have been a liability, especially some of the terrible things written about the Ethiopia staff and others, who all read the forum regularly, and who have no voice to respond to the malcontents discomforts, misery, and general ungracious natures.
I have never agreed with all of CHS policy, and did not hesitate to speak up on the forum when I felt I could add something, but more and more it seemed that the screaming masses were becoming a rioting mob, and the staff and general mindset of the Ethiopia adoption community was being adversely affected, so I agree with this decision, it was way past time. Still though, I am sad for those who really found help and hope there, and I truly hope they have found another adoption board to help bolster them in the coming months of uncertainty, as I know it did for me.
These are of course just my two cents, so please do not leave me a negative comment as I will not read or post it, thanks, Jamie

3 comments:

Adventures of Antone said...

Well said Jamie. Its too bad that somewhere that could be such a positive place at times took such a negative turn.

I am glad for the connections I was able to make on the forum and the families we have gotten to know.

Sha Zam- said...

ditto. As much as some would be upset by this... I sent them an email stating that I supported their decision. Not because it wasn't helpful- because I got more education on that forum (and other blogs) than any classes or books. But- that I understood the many many many cases for why they needed to make the choice.

~Together 2 Get Fit~ said...

Well said and I agree with you! I am thankful that they will leave it so that we can access it but I will not miss the badmouthing that went along with it.

We have been on the waiting list with CHS since July '09 and was just learning my way around but was always saddened by the harshness of some.

Thanks for being a voice of reason in the craziness of it all!

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte