Friday, August 21, 2009

A new "villager" is welcomed!

I truly believe in the old saying that it takes a village. I should, as I was raised in such a village as that, I knew most everyone there, and they all knew who I was, who my parents were, and whether or not my parents, and grandparents would frown upon my misbehaving or not. It was a very secure childhood, I could go any where, I was never unsafe, too many people knew me, and all of my friends, and looked out for us. I wish for this childhood for my own kids, but it is not possible, sadly. I miss that village life terribly, the closeness of neighbors and the knowing of them so deeply, and the constant care and watching that I felt as went about the job of growing up, I miss that for my kids, who know only city streets, and not to talk to any strangers, or go anywhere with any one.
I miss that life so much that we have tried to recreate that "village life" on our own, but ours is a more exclusive village. This village is not for just any one who lives in the vicinity, but it is for those we truly trust and care for. This community of villagers is comprised of close family, church family, and a small group of friends. Jon and I choose with care who we will let into our kids lives, and our own. These are the people we can call anytime to talk, gripe, get advice from, or have there in an emergency when needed, and we would willingly do the same for them at any given time. These people, many of whom are not family, have become the family our kids know, they will be the people our kids remember having fun with, the friends we share all of the good and the bad events in life with, and they will be constant, as will we.
It is two of these friends who have brought a new villager into our small community, Kate and Jeff returned home with their gorgeous son Antone, and we have welcomed him with open arms into our little village. He is a lovely addition to our funny little group, and his parents are very blessed. We waited with anticipation for many months to meet him, and texperience of doing so was perfect, he belongs, and has a special place in our village with all of our children, cared for, watched over, and loved by all of the village.
We will continue to raise our children in our chosen village knowing that they will help to raise our children and love them, the same as we do theirs. It takes a village, and we have found one that will accept us, thank God!!

Welcome to the village Antone Hetu, we know you will be happy here!

ps I will post pics of him soon
:) Jamie

No comments:

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte