Wednesday, January 2, 2008

reflecting on the year

Well, I am feeling a bit reflective tonight, in my now quiet house, with the wind blowing and the cocoa warming my belly. This year has brought many changes, while many things remained the same. I think that the biggest change this year was not so much our applying for our adoption, but my attitude toward our adoption. I had been pushing and struggling and worming my way through papers for so long to begin our adoption, but suddenly there was nothing left to push, now it was time to wait, and pray. And that is what I did, I really began to develop a very deep faith that all of our hopes and dreams would be realized in God's time, and my pushing would not make it go any faster. I had to have faith that our children would be ready for us when we were ready for them, and that their families would be their guardians until then and God would watch over them while we prayed half a world away. So this year my faith has grown, and my inner peace has expanded as well. I have also found in myself a deep well of patience in teaching Julianna, it is not an easy job since I first had to teach her to sit still for more than five minutes and concentrate, a novel experience for her!! I have found a good rythym in teaching Julianna and am now a huge proponent of the unschool method, and also the hooked on phonics series. I have also really learned how easy it is to teach anywhere, I knew it was an interesting concept, but now use it in practice all the time, and enjoy learning right along with Julianna. I have also found that I love staying home 3 days a week, and some weeks would gladly give up working outside the home for the fun of staying in and teaching and playing with the family.
A few things remain unchanged though, Jon and I are still the king and queen of many projects, some finished, some still in progress. Jon and I are still in accord over our vision for our family in the future, where we want to go and what we would like to achieve. We have long term and short term goals, and we still enjoy planning our future on long car rides(like our trip to FLA), and we both agree still that mommy will be teaching all language arts classes, and daddy will stick to the arts and hands on projects(Jon may have my heart and SOLE(intended misspell) but he is an awful speller!!!) We are still amazed at how much love and laughter can be held in one moderately sized house, and still enjoy family outings over any other form of entertainment.
Blessings in the coming year and pray for a speedy referral for us!! Jamie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year my family.
I was sorry I didn't get to share it with you, but, was so glad to hear that you and your brother and families shared the "celebration" of the new year. It was heartwarming to hear Chris say they had a great time with you and it made me tear up. In this year that there has been so much turmoil and stress I was elated that your family and his were sharing the start of a new year together, perhaps a really good omen. Family Love..... I am so looking forward to holding my new grandchildren and welcoming them home with my heart and soul. I try not ask the questions, but, try to wait for information from you. I know the frustration you are feeling... really.. I suffer with you and your heartfelt pain on the wait and arrival of your children. Know that I want this so much for you and that I pray for you. Don't be so surprised .. I do pray everyday.. Jon, just a little story for you. You know your father... he related the story of last Sun. I guess you stopped by the store for something, you had Julianna with you. You were helping Dad with the sign or working on something while she was trying to ride her scooter. Dad said you were so patient and when she was doing it wrong you should her the right way to lean and push, etc.. she tried and it wasn't working and you stopped what you were doing and showed her again and kept telling her she needed to keep trying and be patient and she would be fine. Dad was envious of you, that you could stop and be so patient with her. He wishes now that he had been able to do that with you. He envied that you put her first, which is what it should be. I don't know if he told you that I just thought you should know that he watched you with love in his heart, for the love that you could show your daughter, He has love for all of us, he just doesn't know that love itself is the gift, not the material things. Anyway no matter what the new year brings to us I know that it will bring you joy and fulfilment and that your family will grow and apparently my "grammy" duties will grow. I hope I can continue to help you like I have with Julianna, but, I don't know what work hours will be...time will tell Happy and Blessed New Year. Love, Mom

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte