Monday, November 26, 2007

I have a print that hangs in my bedroom, and it speaks to me in a way I never thought possible. The print is Klimt's A Mother's Love, it is a lovely painting of a mother and child sleeping, with the child resting on the mother, and she has wrapped herself around her baby, it is very evocative, with Klimt's stylistic warm quilted look(this is my completely non artistic opinion BTW).
This painting speaks to me in a different way than when I bought it a few years ago. A few years ago, when pregnant all I wanted for the longest time was to have my body back as my own, not in shape or toned, mind you(like that will ever happen again, HA!!), but I wanted my body to my self, not to have to share it. Then of course Julianna was born, and I still wanted my body to myself, but she was always attached to me, being carried, sleeping with us, nursing, etc. I still had to share my own private space, and for me private space is a big deal. During this time A Mother's Love spoke to me of the peace and the quieter moments of motherhood, something I was striving to reach all of the time.
In the past year this has changed, I have begun to view this painting differently, and my attitude physical space as well. I will now ask Julianna if she wants to be carried, if she is tired, and sometimes scoop her up because she looks in need of a cuddle. I am going to make a sling just so I can carry her easier and not hurt my back. I now crave her sweet warm body, and silky flyaway hair wrapped around me, and will happily cuddle with her for hours watching a movie. I want to wrap her in a never ending bear hug, or fall into a Sleeping Beauty sleep with her wrapped up safe and sweet in my arms, that is what the print says to me now, this mother loves and protects her child even in sleep, and is trying to absorb her spirit and sweetness, and have a physical memory of a moment that is so fleeting.
I so many ways Julianna and motherhood have changed my perspective, and made me grow past my own comfort zones, and taught me what is truly important, and my own views on a beautiful painting are a great example and a wonderful reminder for years to come, because when I see the painting I see Julianna and I resting, wrapped together, forever.
Blessings to all Jamie

No comments:

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte