Wednesday, June 9, 2010

green thumbs are in the blood:-)


Mmmmmmmm, the first fresh peas and ripe raspberries of the season, yum!! I love having a veggie garden, and I love the feeling of accomplishment every time I put a meal on the table, and I know where half of the items were grown, and had only just washed the garden dirt off of them moments before.
I have a veggie garden, mostly to save us money on veggies, salads, and fruit, but I would have a garden anyway, just because I love that feeling of growing something and nurturing it along, cursing the weeds and all;-). Even in the late summer when I am pulling zucchini the size of baseball bats out from the jungle we fondly refer to as the garden, I love it. Because there is nothing better than to open the freezer in the winter, and pull out a bag of stewed tomatoes, or green beans, and have your kids ask if those are the ones they helped pick, and to be able to say "yes, you grew these, weeded these, watered these, and picked them too, and they are fantastic!"
Veggie gardening is in my blood I think, my mom always had a garden, so did her mom, and now I will pass this love of growing things onto my kids. The other day we were in Lowe's, and spied a mini lime tree, for $5, I cannot pass up a bargain like that. So we now have added a lime tree to our growing fruit grove, only this little guy will have the easy life and live inside in the winter. The kids are already asking when it might produce a lime, they are excited about the process, and I am too, so we shall see(and so shall you if you continue to read for the next few years;-)
So now I am off to wash up the greens and peas we harvested today, for a yummy dinner, and I will dream of key lime pie for the future;-)

No comments:

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte