Wednesday, June 17, 2009

No needle yet!!

Okay, so some may know that I am allergic to bees(if you don't care that is fine;). But as I love to garden I don't mind bees too much, especially since I did now know I was allergic until 2 years ago, when I got stung and my foot swelled to 2x its normal size, Ouch!!! Then I got diagnosed with the allergy, and got an epi pen, lucky me. Now in theory I know how the pen works, but have never used it, haven't even gotten stung since I got it, so lucky so far. Until yesterday, when I kneeled on a poor bumble bee, it hurt like a bugger, but nothing else for a minute or two, then I noticed my pulse flutter a bit, and my breathing became more constricted, did I need the pen, did I not? I was not sure!! There is no instruction manual on when you should use this thing, just that you remove the cover, jam it into your thigh, and then go get medical help, HMMMM lacking in instructions and qualifiers there I think. Really, should I use it, or was I fine, if I was fine how long did I have until I was not fine, when had the danger passed, would I even know I was no longer okay until I passed out?!! These raced through my head while I simultaneously cursed myself for forgetting to charge my cell phone, I could not even call Jon, or my kids pediatrician for assistance( I know it seems strange, but my kids Ped nurses are great and I am sure they would have given me help if I had called). So here I am trying to figure out if my reaction is going to cause me to pass out in shock, thereby causing a panic attack in the little old lady I work for, or if what I am feeling is panic and anxiety. I am now frequently checking my pulse, and breathing, and reassured that they seem normal, a bit fast but not hing startling, so now to drive to get the kids. I made it, but was hyper aware of my reflexes and reactions the whole way. Apparently it was not too bad as I made it to Jon's work fine, just feeling a bit funny and head achy, so no big harm done I figured. I spent the rest of the day feeling a bit weird and funky, but nothing too bad, today of course I woke up with a super itchy and swollen knee cap, but some benadryl should take care of that, but sadly I have to go out and face that garden again today, and the more stings I get the more likely it is I will have to use that darn pen, hmmppph!
So we will see what the day shall bring, maybe another small panic attack to liven up the tedium and torture of carrying 100 buckets of mulch!!!!

No comments:

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte