Join us in discovering the adventures that await us on our path to grace in our God, come see what this family loves...
Saturday, August 25, 2007
A Humbling Experience
This past Thursday Jamie Julianna and I joined members of our church to serve food at a soup kitchen. This was my first experience with a food kitchen, and it was a very humbling one, one would think that in dealing with a soup kitchen you are prepared to see homeless looking people. On the contrary what the people I meet and served were normal people some single and some families. They were all pleasant, well mannered and very polite, when you meet someone who is so thankful just to be able to sit down and have a hot meal of hot dogs , beans and potato salad, it really makes you stop and think how lucky that most of us really are. I am just thankful that through the grace of God that we are where we are and not trying to figure out how to feed the family when there is to much month at the end of the money. We spent about four hours down at the church a few to prep one to serve and one to clean up and I had such a great time and to know that for only a small amount of time and money you could make so many people so happy and thankful. Jamie and Julianna baked about 50 brownies they were a big hit (just don't ask Jamie to bake anymore brownies anytime soon.).At the church we helped clean and set up the food , drinks and plates ect.. Jamie was a runner bringing more food when we needed it, I was the hot dog man at the front of the line, being that this was my first soup kitchen I was a little nervous but once the first 5-8 people went through I started to get the hang of the whole food assembly line down. Julianna was my little Sui chief she was putting the hot dog buns on the paper rolls and placing on a tray so I could put the hot dogs in them. She did a great job keeping up with all the hot dogs and only dropped one bun not bad considering we served over 130 hot dogs. This whole experience was not only humbling but it was fun I can't even begin to tell you how great I felt after all of the thank's I recivied I felt like a super hero. This Investment was by far one of the best returns on a investment I have ever had. As a family we had a great experience full of joy and a new thanks to God for what we do have in our lives , and the next time I look in the freezer ( thats over flowing with food ) and decide that there is nothing good to eat Lets go out I can remember what some peoples ideas of going out for dinner really are and cook dinner at home. anyway I have again rambled for to long so have a great day and remember to thank God for what we have because it could only take a slip or a fall for us to be out of work and having to wait in line for a nice hot meal. Jon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte
No comments:
Post a Comment