Has Easter become the new Christmas?! If I did not know better i would have to say YES, this evening I ran in to Walmart, just for a few craft things, and was bombarded by the plethora of Easter things. There were enough bunny decorations for a whole neighborhood, and more than enough jelly beans, peeps, egg shaped chocolates and other Eastery candy for a years worth of sugar rushes. I am a bit appalled by the vast consumerism of the holiday's, but sadly also buy into it at the same time. I will admit that Julianna will have some neat things from the Easter Bunny this year, some fun craft things, a great Fairy book, a movie and even a bit of candy. But she will also get up at 6am on Easter morning to go to the sunrise service at our church. She will hear the story of how the women found the stone rolled away and the body of Jesus gone. We will listen to the story of resurrection, and we will once again give thanks for our own rebirth as the sun peaks over the sleeping homes, then we will go home to eat a jelly bean or two. What we will not do though is lose the story amidst the plastic eggs, candies and bunny ears. We will give a heartfelt thanks for the grace that allows us to be renewed, and pray for a deeper and stronger faith for the coming year.
Happy Easter to all, even the Easter Bunny!!jamie
No comments:
Post a Comment