Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Happy Birthday Amelia!!!!! And the conclusion to a post

Amelia is thrilled, she is finally 6!! Apparently this is a huge milestone for her, not sure why, but she is psyched to be there, YAY!!!!!! So she has a very fun filled special day planned for her, we have decided now that we have a bunch of kids that we are going to do something special for each of them on their b-day, and start some new traditions, so far I have taken them out for donuts, yummy whip cream filled ones, Mia's choice, and daddy will take her out lunch later, wait until I post what she plans to wear for this birthday venture, it is great!!!:-)
So I did a post on Mia a while ago, but forgot to add a few things that are really amazing about my baby girl, well, not really forgot, but had a hard time writing the way I wanted them to come out, so I am going to add them here:
Amelia has changed so much in the last year, but some of the most profound changes are the ones she has not made. Adoption changes everyone, it makes the adoptee more vulnerable and sensitive to nuance. Amelia is especially sensitive and watchful of body language, and the slightest flicker of displeasure that may cross my face, but her watchfulness is not calculating, just steady and assessing. At that same time she can completely lose herself in play, and can bask in the innocence of youth and the joy she creates, this has not changed, even upon our arrival in Ethiopia she was able to be watchful one moment, and lose herself in play and laughter the next. I am thrilled that she can find balance and play as a child who has never lost a piece of her heart. The other profound constant in Amelia is her resilience, in many this translates into rigidity and guarded behavior, but in Amelia she is incredibly strong but generous, she understands that she cannot keep all things, and even the best and most wonderful things end, but that she can remember and enjoy those memories. She has not closed herself off from loving and letting go, but opens her heart to every new thing, throwing her entire being into loving and living, knowing that all things come to an end, and loving it all just the same. This to me is astounding, and so very brave, she is an impossibly caring and generous little girl, amazing in so many ways and I am so blessed to have the care and keeping of her for a little while.
Today I am blessed to be able to watch her grow into a young girl, knowing that her other mother is a world away dreaming and praying for her, and I know that my Mia's strength and generosity come from her, and she would be proud of the amazing little girl her Birtukan is becoming, thank you God and M for the gifts you have bestowed on me, I cherish them daily!!!!!

No comments:

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte