Friday, September 18, 2009

A bounty harvested, sort of!

Well today I received a bonus day free, only because poor little E was not feeling well and mommy wanted to stay home with her. So here I am with a free day on my hands, what shall I do? Well, I shall of course drag my little man out to the grocery store and fruit market(where he charmed the fruit seller out of a peach;-), and we bought sugar pumpkins, tomatoes, corn, jalapenos, red onions, and a squash. Guess what we are making!! If you guessed salsa you are right, thanks to Mary at Owl Haven I have been inspired to make my own(or made to feel guilty for not canning more, which ever you feel is appropriate:), and since making salsa is boring for the kids I also got sugar pumpkins and a squash to make roasted punkin seeds with, and to cook the fruit to make great pumpkin recipes I have been drooling over at Allrecipes.com. I will post here the recipes, with changes I will of course feel compelled to make:), and also photos of the bounty once it has been used.
The kids had a blast getting out the pumpkin seeds, sort of! Gabe for all of his boyishness is quite squeamish about pumpkin goop, and was not into it much, only picking out the top seeds, Mia is a bit grossed out, but game to be a good helper(stoic would not be too harsh a word for her appearance:). Strangely Julianna got right into it and did the most work, totally not like her, but she did great, seeding and then cleaning out the pumpkins for roasting, and they are now enjoying the fruit of their labors, in the form of roasted salted seeds, yum!!! Now all I have to do is scoop out the pumpkin and bag it to freeze, and cook some delish goodies with, cannot wait for it to cool to get started!!
On the down side, out washer finally gave up it's long life, so it is to my moms and the laundry mat for a bit, until we can find a deal on a new washer, grrrr. I knew this day was coming, but am still disgruntled, ah well, it worked for over 12 years, so I got my money worth out of it!!!
Now off to get quiet time started, and to check on my salsa which is sealing properly(I hope), and to start the chicken tortilla soup for dinner, we are going to the free Friday at the children's museum, so that counts as science and other school work for today, love that!!!!

1 comment:

Adventures of Antone said...

I have some yummy pumpkin recipes I'll share...remind me! Also, try the scratch and dent store in Fall River (I think its the Sears Outlet...I've never called it anything else!!) for the washer.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.

My Favorite book says we are all adopted.
By Jamie DuPonte